The old Chain of Rocks Bridge was built in 1929 and at one point in its history carried Bypass US 66 across the Mississippi River. In 1967, the new Chain of Rocks Bridge was built to carry Highway 270, so the old bridge was closed. For 30 years the old bridge was abandoned and was eventually going to be torn down. But because of the high cost of demolition, nobody ever got around to it. Because of its deteriorated look, it was actually used for a scene in the 1981 movie "Escape From New York City." It was fortunate for the residents of the St. Louis Metro area that it wasn't torn down because in 1998 renovations on the bridge began and the old Chain of Rocks Bridge was transformed into the Route 66 Bikeway that is a 1 mile long paved trail on the bridge, crossing the Mississippi River and connecting the St. Louis Riverfront Trail with the MCT Confluence Trail (via the Chain of Rocks Road) on the Illinois side. The Old Chain of Rocks Bridge is also a popular place for Bald Eagle watching in the winter. In 2006 it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Old Chain of Rocks Bridge
Access from Riverview Drive in St. Louis, MO or Illinois 3 in Madison County, IL.
St. Louis, MO 63137
Crosses over the Mississippi River just south of the new Chain of Rocks Bridge/Highway 270